Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Great Bike Trip - Day 1

The first day's itinerary was purty simple... blaze down I-81 to Nashville, Tennessee and stay with my friends Brett and Heather, with whom I used to work with at the newspaper.

I was hopin' for a 7am start time, so I managed to squeeze in six glorious hours of sleep before the alarm went off. I slammed a quick breakfast, made my final check on the bike and my packed items, kissed the girl and hit the road.

When I headed down I-81 on my Hoagy's Heroes ride back in June, I did most of it in the dark. Ridin' durin' the day was definitely a much more scenic ride. I didn't snap as many pictures as I should have, but I did manage to grab a few decent ones along the way.

The only downside to runnin' in the daylight was the added traffic, but I was able to avoid the worst of it for most of the day. I did run into a couple bad construction zones around Knoxville, Tennessee, so I toggled between ridin' the shoulders where practical or exercisin' a little patience.

For the most part, it was a very low-key day, with some neat sights seen along the way.


I rolled into Brett and Heather's place only a few minutes behind schedule, where I was treated to a phenomenal supper of chili, mac and cheese, and fresh salad. I enjoyed catchin' up with my old friends, and we all stayed up much later than we should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment