Monday, March 3, 2014

Redneck trinkets - Lucky Shot product review

So, a few weeks ago, I got an email from a gentleman who works for Lucky Shot. He asked me to review some products that they sell... bottle openers, pendants, and other trinkets that was comprised mostly of once-fired bullets and casings. Needless to say, my bullshit detector flipped into high gear right off the bat. However, I was intrigued enough to take a shot back to see exactly what I was dealin' with. I sent back an email with some questions, more to confirm that I wasn't dealin' with a robot or anythin' like that, and a few responses later, we were in business.

Sure enough, when I got back from the Great American Outdoor Show, there was a box waitin' for me. I was in a rush to get to bed that evenin', but I decided to pop the box open real quick and give everythin' a quick once-over.


I spent the next few days doin' nothin' but workin' and shovelin' snow, so I didn't get to look any further until a few days later. I finally got around to poppin' everyin' out of the package and checkin' it out.

I'm a sucker for magnum rounds, and it just so happened that I had a beer waitin' to be opened, so the .50 BMG bottle opener was the first to come out.. Sure enough, it cracked that beer open slick as a whistle.
 I've spent enough time around machine shops to know that cuttin' metal is a trick, and if it ain't done right, you'll wind up with metal shavin's in your fingers, and/or you'll cut the hell outta yourself on a sharp edge. The cut on these openers are exceptional, and the finish is clean. I wiggled my finger around in there for awhile...no cuts or shavin's.

I saw the same product made by a different company at Cabela's that weekend. The Lucky Shot version was not only cheaper, but definitely a better quality cut. It also survived Ron's annual Winterfest party, and Lord knows we cracked open a helluva lotta beer bottles with that thing up there. The cut got under the lids just fine, and at 5" in length, there was plenty of leverage.

Naturally, the .50 BMG opener spoiled us for the .308 keychain opener. The .308 has the same quality cut and finish, but with substantially less leverage, it took a little more push to do the job. Then again, it's purpose is completely different. It's more than sufficient for the occasional road beer, and beats the hell outta usin' my pocketknife as a pry bar with my index finger as a fulcrum. And, let's face it... it's a helluva lot more aesthetically pleasin' than the chunk of plastic that most keychain openers are made of.


The other two items sent were both paracord pendants, one in .308 with camo cord and one in .50 BMG with black cord. Both were made with what looks like poly 550 paracord with a double slide knot closure, which I like. Easy on, easy off, and a quick pull of the knots will adjust it to any size you like. I'll definitely be stealin' that closure idea for some of the stuff I make.



I'm used to wearin' a pendant anyway, so I swapped out my regular bear paw for the .50 BMG. I was initially worried about the thickness of the paracord and the weight of the bullet, but I hardly noticed it, and it carries well. Right off the bat, I noticed that there was a slight singe on the main part of the cord where the knot was finished at. Bein' that I work alot with paracord, I know how easy it is to do that. Still, I was surprised that Lucky Shot's QC didn't jump all over that and put it in a bargain bin. Of course, I didn't pay for it, so maybe I was gettiin' bargain bin stuff.
A little singe don't bother me none though, and it hasn't affected how it wears around the neck. It would likely only matter if you were usin' the cord in a survival situation. However, it's only about two feet of cord, and I don't anticipate needin' that little of it it in a survival situation, especially since there's usually eight feet braided around my wrist. I've been wearin' it the last few weeks, and the .50 BMG is definitely a conversation starter, especially with any of those military boys.

Since I can't wear two of 'em at the same time, I gave the .308 to Spanky to wear. I'm a paracord junky, but not enough so that I can tell the "good" stuff apart from the knockoff stuff. That said, the camo outer cord on the .308 pendant shriveled and twisted up on Spanky almost as soon as he jumped in the hot tub up at Winterfest. It still wears okay, but it now has a corkscrew effect to it. He had no problem wearin' it the rest of the weekend though. My only grievance with the .308 pendant was purely aesthetic. The thickness of the paracord overall seemed to make the bullet seem especially small. I think the .308 would benefit from a much thinner cord.

Overall, aside from a few minor issues with the paracord, the stuff that was sent to me was of overall good quality. I was especially impressed with the quality of the metal work. My personal favorite has to be the .50 BMG bottle opener, which now has a place of honor on top of the beer fridge.

I think Lucky Shot has a pretty good thing goin' on. Not only are they usin' recycled materials, their products are Made in the good ol' USofA, which is a nice change of pace in our country full of outsourced products. I think we all need to make a better effort to buy local products, and this stuff fits the bill.

They've got a lot more stuff that what I was sent though. If you are a redneck, gun nut, military junky or just a 2A supporter in general, head on over to their website and check out what all they have to offer.

1 comment:

  1. I have a NRA version of the .308 opener. Works okay, but make sure you take it off your keychain before going through a TSA checkpoint at the airport.

    Like many other things in life, I learned that lesson the hard way...

    ReplyDelete