Thursday, July 24, 2014

Cue the banjos

I've been playin' softball for a few years now. I freely admit that I ain't worth a pint of piss at the game. I'm built for contact sports, and hadn't swung a bat at a ball since I was 16. That said, the guys I play with are good guys though, and it's somethin' to help keep me somewhat physically active, so I stick with it.

I got it in my head a few weeks ago to work on my swing mechanics in an attempt to make a little more of a contribution to the team. Some coachin' from Joe and a pile of YouTube videos helped, but I needed to be able to take some swings at home, with what little down time I have.

Since I'm a cheap bastard, I grabbed one of Dad's old bats and a few old softballs layin' around, which left me only in need of a tee. With a swiped length of hose from work, a 2x4 and an hour, I whipped one up. Works pretty doggone good too, if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

  1. Back in my 'yute' I used to play a little. It was mostly an excuse to sit around and drink beer, but I had my moments. Here's another easy-to-make device that lets you practice hitting balls at different heights.

    http://mb-soft.com/public3/baseball.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link... I may have to give that a try. Our season just ended, so I can play around with that in the off-season.

    ReplyDelete