Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Six steps to meaty bliss

1. Whack a big fat buck (or doe, as the case usually is for me).

2. Cut that sumbitch up and make all the big pieces into little pieces.

3. Find all of the good, lean hindquarter meat, trim the junk off, slice it into 1/4" strips (across the grain), and marinate it in this for 24-48 hours.





4. Load up the dehydrator. Try not to let your mouth foam all over the meat.




5. Cook on high (about 150°) for eight hours, give or take a few. (Warning: Simply walking into your kitchen, if not your house, will induce automatic salivation for several days after this procedure.)

6. Remove the jerky from the dehydrator (eat a few pieces.... yaknow, for quality control), bag it up (eat a few more pieces), clean your mess up (eat a few more pieces just for good measure), throw the bag in the fridge (grab another piece for the road) and enjoy!


This is the first time I've made deer jerky. I gotta say, the recipe was fool-proof and this could very well be the best damn deer jerky I've ever had. I've let a buncha people try it and everyone loves it. I'll definitely make a batch of this every year now.

1 comment: