Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Throwin' in the towel and Mowin' Down the Roses

A helluva weekend. Runnin' around like a crazy bastard, but it was all worth it.

It's official... I'm concedin' victory to those insolent black bastards. I've had a great year in the woods and made lotsa great memories, which is what it's all about. First time I've had to eat tag soup for awhile, and the first time in several years that I haven't been in on a kill with friends or family. But that's why they call it huntin'.

Barrin' any miracles from Ron to fill his last tag, the Full Strut will finish with eight birds this year. Dad and Joe both punched their tags on Saturday on slammer birds, so I was glad to be up there to be a small part of that.

Joe's gobbler - 23.5lbs, 1 1/4" & 1 1/8" spurs, 9 1/4" beard
Dad's 2nd gobbler - 20.5lbs, 1 1/4" & 1 1/8" spurs, 9 7/8" beard




And a big, big, big thanks to Ron for his hospitality this spring season. He was always a welcome sight to see after a long mornin' in the woods!



•••

After comin' home and workin' Sunday afternoon and night, I headed out to Revolution Stadium to see Willie Nelson's Country Throwdown Tour. I had volunteered through work to put time in one of the food stands (free tickets... hell yeah!) and had a great view of the stage for most of the show. I took my lil' cousin along and she had a blast too. Got to see two of my favorites, Jamey Johnson and ol' Willie Nelson, as well as a bunch of the new guys that I don't really know that well. We were busy in the concession stand, but it was great to be around that much awesome country music for hours, and just frikkin' awesome to be within spittin' distance of a true livin' legend. And hell, for all the tail struttin' their stuff and gettin' to watch all the other crazy bastards walkin' around, workin' the booth wasn't that bad:)

No comments:

Post a Comment